Friday, November 11, 2011

It doesn't take a mind-reader!

So after months and months of being sick and pregnant and having 6 kids in my home daily, four under the age of 3, I broke down crying one day and told my husband that I think I just needed to get out of the house each week and hoped he could help facilitate it.   With his job keeping him crazy busy, and of course, his necessary gym work-outs that were "not fun" (he assured me), I was unsure of what time was actually leftover over and available for me during the week.  In all honesty, the answer to this question seemed to be like the gloomy words of a flashing neon sign at an old motel-- "no vacancy."  After what I felt like was a hopeless conversation, he looked me in the eye and told me to schedule my personal time on the calendar if it was necessary because he "wasn't a mind-reader."   Did I really need him to read my mind?  Did I not spell it out in perfect words that i needed a break?  Why did it even need to be spelled out...could he not see the chaos created by 6 small children?  Did I crave the impossible?  I just wanted him to say, "take the night for you" without me having to schedule it so that my night out was totally guilt-free and enjoyable.  Why is that too much to ask?  Does not every man know that guilt-free golf is way better than the golf that requires an explanation for the fresh tan lines acquired on a supposed work day?  Men, F.Y.I., girls night outs are like guilt-free golf...necessary for sanity.  It doesn't take a mind-reader to figure this out!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW !!!!!!! Thank you Jamie ... I am soo glad there is someone else out there that feels the same pain that I do... KEEP IT COMING.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great writer Jaime! This blog already has a much different feel than your family blog. Family blogs seem to resinate a falsified 'life is perfect' mood. I am glad that you have an outlet to express your joys, your pains, your trials and your triumphs. This is real life. This is what moms need. We need to know that motherhood and marriage are similarly challenging for every woman. Somehow we glean strength from each other when we read transparent posts in which the writer reveals their true emotions.

    I think you hit the nail on the head with your "guilt free" comments. Women have in innate ability to prioritize. Somehow we naturally put every one's needs in front of our own. When we realize that we need some time to relax, get away,improve ourselves or foster friendships, we need our men to facilitate guilt free access to that!

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete